Power Quality, or current- and voltage quality, is about the quality of the electrical energy.
We depend more and more on electricity in recent years. The quality of the electrical energy – Power Quality- is of strategic importance for continuity, reliability and energy efficiency. The electrical network is being affected by various factors nowadays which results in an inferior quality of the electrical installation. As a result, many organizations perceive Power Quality problems.
Causes, risks and symptoms of poor Power Quality
A poor Power Quality can be experienced due to various causes. In particular, the replacement of electrical equipment by modern electronics, or the implementation of these modern equipment into the original electrical installation is one of the most common causes. For example, replacing conventional lighting with LED lighting, installation of solar panels or placing inverters on electric motors. Modern electronics itself is increasingly sensitive to polluted and disrupted electricity, which results in more disruptions, failures or malfunctioning and shortened the lifespan of the electronic equipment.
Unnecessary costs, disruptions and energy losses
Poor Power Quality threatens the efficiency, continuity and safety of electrical installations. It increases the risk of malfunctions and damage, which is associated with higher costs for maintenance and causes unnecessary energy losses. Poor quality of electricity can be experienced in the form of flashing lights or a humming noise from the plant, but can also go unnoticed and eventually reach costly consequences. Examples that can occur due to poor Power Quality: the shutdown of production, the ignition of cables and premature aging of the plant and the electrical equipment.
In the course Introduction to Power Quality, you will learn about the responsibilities of network operators, manufacturers and end users in the field of electricity. In addition, subjects such as the quality of the supply voltage, voltage and current limits, and insight into the quality of the electrical energy are broadly discussed.
What you will learn
- Power Quality concept and important definitions.
- All aspects of the quality of the electricity supply.
- Classify a Power Quality phenomenon according to its type.
- Understand the main continuous Power Quality phenomena.
- Understand the main event Power Quality phenomena.
- Costs of a bad Power Quality in an installation.
- Examples on installation damages due to a bad Power Quality.
- Responsibilities for a good Power Quality. Parties involved.
- Standards classification according to the limit type.
- Insight on the European EN50160 standard. Actual points of discussion (future possible changes).
- Limits for currents depending on the device type.
- Limits at point of connection.
- Status of the research on Power Quality.